Container exited with a non-zero exit code 137

Hi Hail team!

I’m trying to run the script below, and I ran into an error that seems to happen prior to the densify.

Driver stacktrace:
From org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 747 in stage 2.0 failed 20 times, most recent failure: Lost task 747.22 in stage 2.0 (TID 46988) (jg3-sw-q52v.c.broad-mpg-gnomad.internal executor 638): ExecutorLostFailure (executor 638 exited caused by one of the running tasks) Reason: Container from a bad node: container_1632949730262_0004_01_000640 on host: jg3-sw-q52v.c.broad-mpg-gnomad.internal. Exit status: 137. Diagnostics: [2021-09-30 00:02:58.972]Container killed on request. Exit code is 137
[2021-09-30 00:02:58.973]Container exited with a non-zero exit code 137. 

I know exit code is 137 is likely that it’s running out of memory. I ran it on an autoscale cluster with the following: --master-machine-type n1-highmem-16 --worker-machine-type n1-highmem-8. Do you have any suggestions for code modifications that might help, or changes to the cluster? I would rather avoid using n1-highmem-16 if possible.

Thank you in advance for your help!

# NOTE:
# This script is needed for the v3.1.2 release to correct a a problem discovered in the gnomAD v3.1 release.
# The fix we implemented to correct a technical artifact creating the depletion of homozygous alternate genotypes
# was not performed correctly in situations where samples that were individually heterozygous non-reference had both
# a heterozygous and homozygous alternate call at the same locus.

import argparse
import logging

import hail as hl

from gnomad.utils.slack import slack_notifications
from gnomad.utils.sparse_mt import densify_sites
from gnomad.utils.vcf import SPARSE_ENTRIES

from gnomad_qc.v3.resources.basics import get_gnomad_v3_mt
from gnomad_qc.v3.resources.release import release_sites
from gnomad_qc.v3.resources.annotations import last_END_position
from gnomad_qc.slack_creds import slack_token

logging.basicConfig(
    format="%(asctime)s (%(name)s %(lineno)s): %(message)s",
    datefmt="%m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S %p",
)
logger = logging.getLogger("get_impacted_variants")
logger.setLevel(logging.INFO)

def main(args):
    """
    Script used to get variants impacted by homalt hotfix.
    """

hl.init(log="/get_impacted_variants.log", default_reference="GRCh38")

logger.info("Reading sparse MT and metadata table with release only samples...")
    mt = get_gnomad_v3_mt(
        key_by_locus_and_alleles=True, samples_meta=True, release_only=True,
    ).select_entries(*SPARSE_ENTRIES)

if args.test:
        logger.info("Filtering to two partitions...")
        mt = mt._filter_partitions(range(2))

logger.info(
        "Adding annotation for whether original genotype (pre-splitting multiallelics) is het nonref..."
    )
    # Adding a Boolean for whether a sample had a heterozygous non-reference genotype
    # Need to add this prior to splitting MT to make sure these genotypes
    # are not adjusted by the homalt hotfix downstream
    mt = mt.annotate_entries(_het_non_ref=mt.LGT.is_het_non_ref())

logger.info("Splitting multiallelics...")
    mt = hl.experimental.sparse_split_multi(mt, filter_changed_loci=True)

logger.info("Reading in v3.0 release HT (to get frequency information)...")
    freq_ht = (
        release_sites(public=True).versions["3.0"].ht().select_globals().select("freq")
    )
    mt = mt.annotate_rows(AF=freq_ht[mt.row_key].freq[0].AF)

logger.info(
        "Filtering to common (AF > 0.01) variants with at least one het nonref call..."
    )
    sites_ht = mt.filter_rows(
        (mt.AF > 0.01) & hl.agg.any(mt._het_non_ref & ((mt.AD[1] / mt.DP) > 0.9))
    ).rows()

logger.info("Densifying MT to het nonref sites only...")
    mt = densify_sites(
        mt, sites_ht, last_END_position.versions["3.1"].ht(), semi_join_rows=False,
    )
    mt = mt.filter_rows(
        (hl.len(mt.alleles) > 1) & (hl.is_defined(sites_ht[mt.row_key]))
    )

logger.info(
        "Writing out dense MT with only het nonref calls that may have been incorrectly adjusted with the homalt hotfix..."
    )
    if args.test:
        mt.write(
            "gs://gnomad-tmp/release_3.1.2/het_nonref_fix_sites_3.1.2_test.mt",
            overwrite=True,
        )
    else:
        mt.write(
            "gs://gnomad-tmp/release_3.1.2/het_nonref_fix_sites.mt", overwrite=True
        )

if __name__ == "__main__":

parser = argparse.ArgumentParser()

parser.add_argument(
        "--slack_channel", help="Slack channel to post results and notifications to."
    )
    parser.add_argument(
        "--test", help="Runs a test on two partitions.", action="store_true"
    )

args = parser.parse_args()

if args.slack_channel:
        with slack_notifications(slack_token, args.slack_channel):
            main(args)
    else:
        main(args)

Are you using any local SSDs? You could try adding a local SSD to your non-preemptible workers with --num-worker-local-ssds 1 when creating the cluster and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, I got the same error.

Cluster (I used what I typically use for a densify plus the flag you mentioned):

hailctl dataproc start jg3 --autoscaling-policy=gnomad_v3_1_autoscale --master-boot-disk-size 1000 --worker-boot-disk-size 800 --master-machine-type n1-highmem-16 --worker-machine-type n1-highmem-8 --num-worker-local-ssds 1 --packages gnomad --requester-pays-allow-all

Error:

Hail version: 0.2.77-684f32d73643
Error summary: SparkException: Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 61583 in stage 2.0 failed 20 times, most recent failure: Lost task 61583.24 in stage 2.0 (TID 105146) (jg3-sw-61kd.c.broad-mpg-gnomad.internal executor 2403): ExecutorLostFailure (executor 2403 exited caused by one of the running tasks) Reason: Container from a bad node: container_1633098306788_0001_01_002406 on host: jg3-sw-61kd.c.broad-mpg-gnomad.internal. Exit status: 137. Diagnostics: [2021-10-01 16:20:09.218]Container killed on request. Exit code is 137
[2021-10-01 16:20:09.218]Container exited with a non-zero exit code 137. 

Hmm, @tpoterba any thoughts on the best way to fix this? I’m thinking increasing the number of partitions or reducing the number of executor cores might help

Do you have the log file?

Yup, I will email it to you

@tpoterba Just checking in to make sure you got the log file last week.

Hey @jkgoodrich , sorry for the radio silence from us. Tim is OOO for the rest of the week. @chrisvittal will support you in his absence.

We believe the next step is to attempt setting the spark settings spark.executor.memory and spark.executor.memoryOverhead to double their current values. The idea is to force one executor per VM and effectively double the available memory per executor. Our hope is that this will allow densify to succeed. For n1-highmem-8 workers, try 12g and 3000, respectively.

Great, thank you all! I will give that a try now.

This still failed with the same error. I set it like this, is that correct?

hailctl dataproc start jg3 --autoscaling-policy=gnomad_v3_1_autoscale --master-boot-disk-size 1000 --worker-boot-disk-size 800 --master-machine-type n1-highmem-16 --worker-machine-type n1-highmem-8 --packages gnomad --requester-pays-allow-all --properties=spark:spark.executor.memory=12g,spark:spark.executor.memoryOverhead=3000

The answer here appears to be that we didn’t set the executor memory high enough. N1-highmem-8 machines have 52GB of memory so we’ll need to take up more than half of that in order for YARN to pack only one executor per node. I set spark.executor.memory=40g and spark.executor.memoryOverhead=4000 and am re-running your workload. It appears to be working now.

1 Like

Thank you Chris!