Remove rows with "NA" in any sample

From a matrix table, how do I remove rows (variants) with a “NA” in any one of the samples? Thank you!

Hi @CuriousGeneticist !

From a matrix table, how do I remove rows with an NA in any one of the samples?

We can take your sentence piece-by-piece from English to Hail!

From a matrix table,

This tells us that we’ll be using MatrixTable methods like annotate_rows, filter_rows, annotate_cols, etc. instead of the Table methods annotate and filter.

remove rows (variants) with

Removal of rows or columns in Hail is called “filtering”, so we want filter_rows:

mt = mt.filter_rows( some_condition )

a “NA” in any one of the samples

This has three parts “a ‘NA’”, “any one of”, and “the samples” which correspond to:

1. hl.is_missing( some_thing_that_can_be_missing )
  2. hl.agg.any( some_other_condition )
  3. mt.GT, mt.AD, … (the various genotype fields which vary per-sample)

I will assume you want to look for missing genotypes (mt.GT).

mt = mt.filter_rows(
    hl.agg.any(
        hl.is_missing(mt.GT)
    )
)

An important caveat! Hail has both “missing” entry fields and “filtered entries”. Filtered entries are created by filter_entries. You never get filtered entries from import_vcf. You can check if you have any filtered entries by running this command:

mt = mt.compute_entry_filter_stats()
mt.entry_stats_row.n_filtered.summarize()

Thank you so much for your response Danking. I tried to run this code:
mt = mt.filter_rows(

• hl.agg.any(*
  •    hl.is_missing(mt.GT)*

• )*
    )
    But the NA rows are still there. Does that mean that it is a “filtered entry”?

But the NA rows are still there

What is the query you are running to see the “NA rows”? This might help us best answer.

I used
mt.GT.show()
and I still saw the “NA” rows.

Can you copy and paste or screenshot an example row from mt.GT.show()? Also what is printed by my suggestion above for checking for filtered entries?

Actually, I realized that it was an issue with an upstream query. Thanks so much for your help!