VEP: add field hgvsg

Hi

I use the function vep to annotate my varuiants as follow

# Load variants matrix table
mt_vcf = hl.read_matrix_table("....vcf.mt")
# Add vep fields
mt_vep = hl.vep(mt_vcf, "...vep_config.json")

with the vep_config.json found in Hail documentation

{"command": [
  "/vep",
  "--format", "vcf",
  "__OUTPUT_FORMAT_FLAG__",
  "--everything",
  "--allele_number",
  "--no_stats",
  "--cache", "--offline",
  "--minimal",
  "--assembly", "GRCh38",
  "--fasta", "/opt/vep/.vep/homo_sapiens/95_GRCh38/Homo_sapiens.GRCh38.dna.toplevel.fa.gz",
  "--plugin", "LoF,loftee_path:/opt/vep/Plugins/,gerp_bigwig:/opt/vep/.vep/gerp_conservation_scores.homo_sapiens.GRCh38.bw,human_ancestor_fa:/opt/vep/.vep/human_ancestor.fa.gz,conservation_file:/opt/vep/.vep/loftee.sql",
  "--dir_plugins", "/opt/vep/Plugins/",
  "-o", "STDOUT"
],
"env": {
   "PERL5LIB": "/vep_data/loftee"
},
"vep_json_schema": "Struct{assembly_name:String,allele_string:String,ancestral:String,colocated_variants:Array[Struct{aa_allele:String,aa_maf:Float64,afr_allele:String,afr_maf:Float64,allele_string:String,amr_allele:String,amr_maf:Float64,clin_sig:Array[String],end:Int32,eas_allele:String,eas_maf:Float64,ea_allele:String,ea_maf:Float64,eur_allele:String,eur_maf:Float64,exac_adj_allele:String,exac_adj_maf:Float64,exac_allele:String,exac_afr_allele:String,exac_afr_maf:Float64,exac_amr_allele:String,exac_amr_maf:Float64,exac_eas_allele:String,exac_eas_maf:Float64,exac_fin_allele:String,exac_fin_maf:Float64,exac_maf:Float64,exac_nfe_allele:String,exac_nfe_maf:Float64,exac_oth_allele:String,exac_oth_maf:Float64,exac_sas_allele:String,exac_sas_maf:Float64,id:String,minor_allele:String,minor_allele_freq:Float64,phenotype_or_disease:Int32,pubmed:Array[Int32],sas_allele:String,sas_maf:Float64,somatic:Int32,start:Int32,strand:Int32}],context:String,end:Int32,id:String,input:String,intergenic_consequences:Array[Struct{allele_num:Int32,consequence_terms:Array[String],impact:String,minimised:Int32,variant_allele:String}],most_severe_consequence:String,motif_feature_consequences:Array[Struct{allele_num:Int32,consequence_terms:Array[String],high_inf_pos:String,impact:String,minimised:Int32,motif_feature_id:String,motif_name:String,motif_pos:Int32,motif_score_change:Float64,strand:Int32,variant_allele:String}],regulatory_feature_consequences:Array[Struct{allele_num:Int32,biotype:String,consequence_terms:Array[String],impact:String,minimised:Int32,regulatory_feature_id:String,variant_allele:String}],seq_region_name:String,start:Int32,strand:Int32,transcript_consequences:Array[Struct{allele_num:Int32,amino_acids:String,appris:String,biotype:String,canonical:Int32,ccds:String,cdna_start:Int32,cdna_end:Int32,cds_end:Int32,cds_start:Int32,codons:String,consequence_terms:Array[String],distance:Int32,domains:Array[Struct{db:String,name:String}],exon:String,gene_id:String,gene_pheno:Int32,gene_symbol:String,gene_symbol_source:String,hgnc_id:String,hgvsc:String,hgvsp:String,hgvs_offset:Int32,impact:String,intron:String,lof:String,lof_flags:String,lof_filter:String,lof_info:String,minimised:Int32,polyphen_prediction:String,polyphen_score:Float64,protein_end:Int32,protein_start:Int32,protein_id:String,sift_prediction:String,sift_score:Float64,strand:Int32,swissprot:String,transcript_id:String,trembl:String,tsl:Int32,uniparc:String,variant_allele:String}],variant_class:String}"
}

I notice that the current config output the hgvsc and hgvsp flag. but not hgvsg.
I can request VEP to query this flag with the option --hgvsg in my config file, but how can I modify the structure of the Hail table to ingress this flag ?

I think you need to edit the command field to add that flag, and the vep_json_schema string to include hgvsg in the right place. Is that a string, or a structured value?

1. I modified vep_config.json to request hgvs-g flag and vep_json_schema to include the data.
{"command": [
  "/vep",
  "--format", "vcf",
  "__OUTPUT_FORMAT_FLAG__",
  "--everything",
  "--hgvsg",
  "--allele_number",
  "--no_stats",
  "--cache", "--offline",
  "--minimal",
  "--assembly", "GRCh38",
  "--fasta", "/opt/vep/.vep/homo_sapiens/95_GRCh38/Homo_sapiens.GRCh38.dna.toplevel.fa.gz",
  "--plugin", "LoF,loftee_path:/opt/vep/Plugins/,gerp_bigwig:/opt/vep/.vep/gerp_conservation_scores.homo_sapiens.GRCh38.bw,human_ancestor_fa:/opt/vep/.vep/human_ancestor.fa.gz,conservation_file:/opt/vep/.vep/loftee.sql",
  "--dir_plugins", "/opt/vep/Plugins/",
  "-o", "STDOUT"
],
"env": {
   "PERL5LIB": "/vep_data/loftee"
},
"vep_json_schema": "Struct{assembly_name:String,allele_string:String,ancestral:String,colocated_variants:Array[Struct{aa_allele:String,aa_maf:Float64,afr_allele:String,afr_maf:Float64,allele_string:String,amr_allele:String,amr_maf:Float64,clin_sig:Array[String],end:Int32,eas_allele:String,eas_maf:Float64,ea_allele:String,ea_maf:Float64,eur_allele:String,eur_maf:Float64,exac_adj_allele:String,exac_adj_maf:Float64,exac_allele:String,exac_afr_allele:String,exac_afr_maf:Float64,exac_amr_allele:String,exac_amr_maf:Float64,exac_eas_allele:String,exac_eas_maf:Float64,exac_fin_allele:String,exac_fin_maf:Float64,exac_maf:Float64,exac_nfe_allele:String,exac_nfe_maf:Float64,exac_oth_allele:String,exac_oth_maf:Float64,exac_sas_allele:String,exac_sas_maf:Float64,id:String,minor_allele:String,minor_allele_freq:Float64,phenotype_or_disease:Int32,pubmed:Array[Int32],sas_allele:String,sas_maf:Float64,somatic:Int32,start:Int32,strand:Int32}],context:String,end:Int32,id:String,input:String,intergenic_consequences:Array[Struct{allele_num:Int32,consequence_terms:Array[String],impact:String,minimised:Int32,variant_allele:String}],most_severe_consequence:String,motif_feature_consequences:Array[Struct{allele_num:Int32,consequence_terms:Array[String],high_inf_pos:String,impact:String,minimised:Int32,motif_feature_id:String,motif_name:String,motif_pos:Int32,motif_score_change:Float64,strand:Int32,variant_allele:String}],regulatory_feature_consequences:Array[Struct{allele_num:Int32,biotype:String,consequence_terms:Array[String],impact:String,minimised:Int32,regulatory_feature_id:String,variant_allele:String}],seq_region_name:String,start:Int32,strand:Int32,transcript_consequences:Array[Struct{allele_num:Int32,amino_acids:String,appris:String,biotype:String,canonical:Int32,ccds:String,cdna_start:Int32,cdna_end:Int32,cds_end:Int32,cds_start:Int32,codons:String,consequence_terms:Array[String],distance:Int32,domains:Array[Struct{db:String,name:String}],exon:String,gene_id:String,gene_pheno:Int32,gene_symbol:String,gene_symbol_source:String,hgnc_id:String,hgvsg:String,hgvsc:String,hgvsp:String,hgvs_offset:Int32,impact:String,intron:String,lof:String,lof_flags:String,lof_filter:String,lof_info:String,minimised:Int32,polyphen_prediction:String,polyphen_score:Float64,protein_end:Int32,protein_start:Int32,protein_id:String,sift_prediction:String,sift_score:Float64,strand:Int32,swissprot:String,transcript_id:String,trembl:String,tsl:Int32,uniparc:String,variant_allele:String}],variant_class:String}"
}
  1. I tried to put hgvsg flag at the root Struct (as the information depends on genomic position only) but the flag is empty there.

2. I successfully get data if I add the flag inside transcript_consequences where the other hgvs flag are.

Then we can get the data from the Matrix table there:

mt.vep.transcript_consequences.hgvsg.show()