Best strategy for annotating and filtering VCF files using HAIL-VEP on UKB RAP?

I’ve been struggling with a few issues regarding annotating VCF files on UKB RAP using HAIL. I am trying to annotate pVCF files that I subsetted using bcftools and QC’d using vcftools . The files appear to be able to annotate when I use the HAIL annotation database and VEP. But three issues I’m having is:

1. Filtering the annotated hail tables is quite difficult as the headers of the tables contain array + dict expressions which I can filter using standard array notation but it’s awkward. Also, VEP is annotated in one large array with the csq header saved elsewhere.
  2. Some of the annotations fail such as Clinvar gene summary and Clinvar variant summary.
  3. I cannot export to VCF (“Error summary: VCFParseError: unexpected end of line”). I know you advised before to just save as a hail table but I would prefer to have the data in vcf format to make filtering easier.

I ran VCF validator which throws up an error with regards to the format flag:

FORMAT tag [RNC] expected different number of values (2),Could not validate the char value [..]

The VCF line looks like this:

chr1 69026 chr1_69026_T_G T G 38 . AF=1e-06;AQ=38;AC=1;AN=226780 GT:DP:AD:GQ:PL:RNC

Usually when I annotate with VEP it’s very straightforward and outputs a VCF file which is easily worked with and without a complicated format. This makes downstream filtering of variants in R extremely straightforward. I’ve attached the code I use for this. I’ve pasted the code I usually use below.

I’m wondering if anyone can help me with a more straightforward solution to annotating and filtering variants in HAIL. Ideally I’d like my annotations in the INFO column in standard VCF format. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. This has really taken me forever to get to this stage even though it’s a fairly basic analysis.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the code I use to annotate the files:

(Instance type - mem3_ssd2_V2_x8; HAIL-0.2.78-VEP-1.0.3; spark cluster x3 nodes)

import pyspark
import dxpy
import hail as hl

sc = pyspark.SparkContext()
spark = pyspark.sql.SparkSession(sc)
hl.init(sc=sc)

#import file

vcf_path = 'file:///mnt/project/FI_subset_QC_pVCFs/ukbXXXXX_c1_b0_v1.FI_subset.hwe10-6.maxmissing0.02.vcf.gz'

mt = hl.import_vcf(vcf_path, force=True, reference_genome='GRCh38', array_elements_required=False)

#annotate files

db = hl.experimental.DB(region='us', cloud='aws')

annotated_mt = db.annotate_rows_db(mt, 'CADD', 'clinvar_gene_summary', 'clinvar_variant_summary', 'dbNSFP_genes', 'dbNSFP_variants', 'dbSNP_rsid', 'gnomad_exome_sites')

nnotated_mt2 = hl.vep(annotated_mt , "file:///mnt/project/vep-GRCh38.json")

#move annotations into INFO column in VCF - CADD scores example

annotated_mt2 = annotated_mt2.annotate_rows(info=annotated_mt2.info.annotate(CADD_PHRED=annotated_mt2.CADD["PHRED_score"]))

#export VCF

hl.export_vcf(annotated_mt2,"file:///opt/notebooks/test.annotate.vcf.bgz")

Here is the code I use to annotate VCFs on my local server:

date ; time /path/to/file/ensembl-vep/vep -i test.vcf.gz --force_overwrite --vcf -o test.annotated.vcf --assembly GRCh38 --fork 15 --offline --dir /path/to/file/.vep --symbol --hgvs --numbers --canonical --per_gene --no_check_variants_order --plugin CADD,/path/to/file/reference/CADD_GRCh38_v1.6/whole_genome_SNVs.tsv.gz,path/to/file/reference/CADD_GRCh38_v1.6/gnomad.genomes.r3.0.indel.tsv.gz --custom /path/to/file/reference/gnomAD_GRCh38_v2.1.1/gnomad.exomes.r2.1.1.sites.liftover_grch38.vcf.gz,gnomAD_v2_exome,vcf,exact,0,AF_nfe --plugin dbNSFP,/path/to/file/reference/dbNSFP/dbNSFP4.1a_grch38.gz,Ensembl_transcriptid,SIFT4G_score,Polyphen2_HDIV_score,MPC_score,REVEL_score,FATHMM_score

Hey @dint ,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Hail!

As a high-level general comment, I think importing VCF data, annotating some metadata, running VEP, and exporting back to VCF, is not a use case for which Hail is high leverage. Would you be better served by directly running VEP and downloading the relevant annotation datasets and using other tools? I believe Hail is a powerful tool, but it’s not the best tool for every problem!

On to your specific issues:

1. Can you give an example of something that’s unpleasant? We can learn from your experience and improve the interface. We might also have alternative approaches.

2. Can you describe the failure? Do you get an exception or error message? Does it just run forever? Does it crash?

3. Can you share the full stack trace of the error? VCFParseError sounds like an issue with the data you are reading (the ukbXXXXX_c1_b0_v1… file) not with the data that Hail is writing. The portion of the VCF line you shared doesn’t contain the offending part. RNC is an entry field (i.e. something indexed by both variant and sample). What’s the format header for RNC? My guess is one of the genotype records has an RNC value which is an array of the wrong length and/or whatever tool generated the RNC field is producing annotations that violate the VCF spec.

Hi Dan,

Cheers for getting back to me so quickly and apologies for the late reply. I understand that exporting again to a VCF from a hail table is not ideal and not really what the intended use of hail is. I just want my annotated vcf file in a format that is easy to filter and I’m struggling to do this using hail due to the format of the annotation columns. Unfortunately because of the UKB MTA, I can’t simply download the WES VCF files to my local server and run VEP directly (which would be ideal). To answer your questions:

1. My main issues are just that some important annotations don’t work using the hail annotation database and filtering using the outputted hail table is quite difficult given the multiple expressions in the header. So for example:

locus
alleles
rsid
qual
filters
AF
AQ
AC
AN
vep
part_idx
block_idx
raw_score
PHRED_score
clinvar_gene_summary
clinvar_variant_summary
dbNSFP_genes
dbNSFP_variants
dbSNP_rsid
ReverseComplementedAlleles
SwappedAlleles
original_locus
freq
age_hist_het
age_hist_hom
popmax
faf
lcr
decoy
segdup
nonpar
variant_type
allele_type
n_alt_alleles
was_mixed
has_star
qd
pab_max
info_MQRankSum
info_SOR
info_InbreedingCoeff
info_ReadPosRankSum
info_FS
info_QD
info_MQ
info_DP
transmitted_singleton
fail_hard_filters
info_POSITIVE_TRAIN_SITE
info_NEGATIVE_TRAIN_SITE
omni
mills
n_nonref
tp
rf_train
rf_label
rf_probability
singleton
was_split
score
rank
singleton_rank
biallelic_rank
adj_biallelic_singleton_rank
adj_rank
adj_biallelic_rank
adj_singleton_rank
biallelic_singleton_rank
filters
bin_edges
bin_freq
n_smaller
n_larger
bin_edges
bin_freq
n_smaller
n_larger
bin_edges
bin_freq
n_smaller
n_larger
bin_edges
bin_freq
n_smaller
n_larger
bin_edges
bin_freq
n_smaller
n_larger
qual
assembly_name
allele_string
ancestral
colocated_variants
context
end
id
input
intergenic_consequences
most_severe_consequence
motif_feature_consequences
regulatory_feature_consequences
seq_region_name
start
strand
transcript_consequences
variant_class
BaseQRankSum
ClippingRankSum
DB
DP
DS
END
FS
HaplotypeScore
InbreedingCoeff
MQ
MQRankSum
NEGATIVE_TRAIN_SITE
POSITIVE_TRAIN_SITE
QD
ReadPosRankSum
SOR
VQSLOD
culprit
rsid
original_alleles
locus<GRCh38>	array<str>	str	float64	set<str>	array<float64>	array<int32>	array<int32>	int32	array<str>	int32	int32	float64	float64	dict<str, struct{GeneID: int32, Total_submissions: int32, Total_alleles: int32, Submissions_reporting_this_gene: int32, Alleles_reported_Pathogenic_Likely_pathogenic: int32, Gene_MIM_number: int32, Number_uncertain: int32, Number_with_conflicts: int32}>	array<struct{Type: str, Name: str, GeneID: int32, GeneSymbol: str, HGNC_ID: str, ClinicalSignificance: str, ClinSigSimple: int32, LastEvaluated: str, `RS# (dbSNP)`: int32, `nsv/esv (dbVar)`: str, RCVaccession: str, PhenotypeIDS: str, PhenotypeList: str, Origin: str, OriginSimple: str, Assembly: str, ChromosomeAccession: str, ReferenceAllele: str, AlternateAllele: str, Cytogenetic: str, ReviewStatus: str, NumberSubmitters: int32, Guidelines: str, TestedInGTR: str, OtherIDs: str, SubmitterCategories: int32, VariationID: int32, AlleleID: int32}>	dict<str, struct{Ensembl_gene: str, chr: str, Gene_old_names: str, Gene_other_names: str, `Uniprot_acc(HGNC/Uniprot)`: str, `Uniprot_id(HGNC/Uniprot)`: str, Entrez_gene_id: int32, CCDS_id: str, Refseq_id: str, ucsc_id: str, MIM_id: str, OMIM_id: int32, Gene_full_name: str, `Pathway(Uniprot)`: str, `Pathway(BioCarta)_short`: str, `Pathway(BioCarta)_full`: str, `Pathway(ConsensusPathDB)`: str, `Pathway(KEGG)_id`: str, `Pathway(KEGG)_full`: str, Function_description: str, Disease_description: str, MIM_phenotype_id: str, MIM_disease: str, Orphanet_disorder_id: str, Orphanet_disorder: str, Orphanet_association_type: str, `Trait_association(GWAS)`: str, GO_biological_process: str, GO_cellular_component: str, GO_molecular_function: str, `Tissue_specificity(Uniprot)`: str, `Expression(egenetics)`: str, `Expression(GNF/Atlas)`: str, `Interactions(IntAct)`: str, `Interactions(BioGRID)`: str, `Interactions(ConsensusPathDB)`: str, `P(HI)`: float64, HIPred_score: float64, HIPred: str, GHIS: float64, `P(rec)`: float64, Known_rec_info: str, RVIS_EVS: float64, RVIS_percentile_EVS: float64, `LoF-FDR_ExAC`: float64, RVIS_ExAC: float64, RVIS_percentile_ExAC: float64, ExAC_pLI: float64, ExAC_pRec: float64, ExAC_pNull: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_pLI: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_pRec: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_pNull: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_pLI: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_pRec: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_pNull: float64, gnomAD_pLI: str, gnomAD_pRec: str, gnomAD_pNull: str, `ExAC_del.score`: float64, `ExAC_dup.score`: float64, `ExAC_cnv.score`: float64, ExAC_cnv_flag: str, GDI: float64, `GDI-Phred`: float64, `Gene damage prediction (all disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (all Mendelian disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (Mendelian AD disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (Mendelian AR disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (all PID disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (PID AD disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (PID AR disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (all cancer disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (cancer recessive disease-causing genes)`: str, `Gene damage prediction (cancer dominant disease-causing genes)`: str, LoFtool_score: float64, `SORVA_LOF_MAF0.005_HetOrHom`: float64, `SORVA_LOF_MAF0.005_HomOrCompoundHet`: float64, `SORVA_LOF_MAF0.001_HetOrHom`: float64, `SORVA_LOF_MAF0.001_HomOrCompoundHet`: float64, `SORVA_LOForMissense_MAF0.005_HetOrHom`: float64, `SORVA_LOForMissense_MAF0.005_HomOrCompoundHet`: float64, `SORVA_LOForMissense_MAF0.001_HetOrHom`: float64, `SORVA_LOForMissense_MAF0.001_HomOrCompoundHet`: float64, Essential_gene: str, Essential_gene_CRISPR: str, Essential_gene_CRISPR2: str, `Essential_gene_gene-trap`: str, Gene_indispensability_score: float64, Gene_indispensability_pred: str, MGI_mouse_gene: str, MGI_mouse_phenotype: str, ZFIN_zebrafish_gene: str, ZFIN_zebrafish_structure: str, ZFIN_zebrafish_phenotype_quality: str, ZFIN_zebrafish_phenotype_tag: str}>	array<struct{`pos(1-based)`: int32, ref: str, alt: str, aaref: str, aaalt: str, rs_dbSNP151: str, hg19_chr: str, `hg19_pos(1-based)`: int32, hg18_chr: str, `hg18_pos(1-based)`: int32, aapos: str, genename: str, Ensembl_geneid: str, Ensembl_transcriptid: str, Ensembl_proteinid: str, Uniprot_acc: str, Uniprot_entry: str, HGVSc_ANNOVAR: str, HGVSp_ANNOVAR: str, HGVSc_snpEff: str, HGVSp_snpEff: str, HGVSc_VEP: str, HGVSp_VEP: str, APPRIS: str, GENCODE_basic: str, TSL: str, VEP_canonical: str, cds_strand: str, refcodon: str, codonpos: str, codon_degeneracy: str, Ancestral_allele: str, AltaiNeandertal: str, Denisova: str, VindijiaNeandertal: str, SIFT_score: str, SIFT_converted_rankscore: float64, SIFT_pred: str, SIFT4G_score: str, SIFT4G_converted_rankscore: float64, SIFT4G_pred: str, Polyphen2_HDIV_score: str, Polyphen2_HDIV_rankscore: float64, Polyphen2_HDIV_pred: str, Polyphen2_HVAR_score: str, Polyphen2_HVAR_rankscore: float64, Polyphen2_HVAR_pred: str, LRT_score: float64, LRT_converted_rankscore: float64, LRT_pred: str, LRT_Omega: float64, MutationTaster_score: str, MutationTaster_converted_rankscore: float64, MutationTaster_pred: str, MutationTaster_model: str, MutationTaster_AAE: str, MutationAssessor_score: str, MutationAssessor_rankscore: float64, MutationAssessor_pred: str, FATHMM_score: str, FATHMM_converted_rankscore: float64, FATHMM_pred: str, PROVEAN_score: str, PROVEAN_converted_rankscore: float64, PROVEAN_pred: str, VEST4_score: str, VEST4_rankscore: float64, MetaSVM_score: float64, MetaSVM_rankscore: float64, MetaSVM_pred: str, MetaLR_score: float64, MetaLR_rankscore: float64, MetaLR_pred: str, Reliability_index: int32, `M-CAP_score`: float64, `M-CAP_rankscore`: float64, `M-CAP_pred`: str, REVEL_score: float64, REVEL_rankscore: float64, MutPred_score: str, MutPred_rankscore: float64, MutPred_protID: str, MutPred_AAchange: str, MutPred_Top5features: str, MVP_score: str, MVP_rankscore: float64, MPC_score: str, MPC_rankscore: float64, PrimateAI_score: float64, PrimateAI_rankscore: float64, PrimateAI_pred: str, DEOGEN2_score: str, DEOGEN2_rankscore: float64, DEOGEN2_pred: str, Aloft_Fraction_transcripts_affected: str, Aloft_prob_Tolerant: str, Aloft_prob_Recessive: str, Aloft_prob_Dominant: str, Aloft_pred: str, Aloft_Confidence: str, CADD_raw: float64, CADD_raw_rankscore: float64, CADD_phred: float64, DANN_score: float64, DANN_rankscore: float64, `fathmm-MKL_coding_score`: float64, `fathmm-MKL_coding_rankscore`: float64, `fathmm-MKL_coding_pred`: str, `fathmm-MKL_coding_group`: str, `fathmm-XF_coding_score`: float64, `fathmm-XF_coding_rankscore`: float64, `fathmm-XF_coding_pred`: str, `Eigen-raw_coding`: float64, `Eigen-raw_coding_rankscore`: float64, `Eigen-pred_coding`: float64, `Eigen-PC-raw_coding`: float64, `Eigen-PC-raw_coding_rankscore`: float64, `Eigen-PC-phred_coding`: float64, GenoCanyon_score: float64, GenoCanyon_rankscore: float64, integrated_fitCons_score: float64, integrated_fitCons_rankscore: float64, integrated_confidence_value: int32, GM12878_fitCons_score: float64, GM12878_fitCons_rankscore: float64, GM12878_confidence_value: int32, `H1-hESC_fitCons_score`: float64, `H1-hESC_fitCons_rankscore`: float64, `H1-hESC_confidence_value`: int32, HUVEC_fitCons_score: float64, HUVEC_fitCons_rankscore: float64, HUVEC_confidence_value: int32, LINSIGHT: float64, LINSIGHT_rankscore: float64, `GERP++_NR`: float64, `GERP++_RS`: float64, `GERP++_RS_rankscore`: float64, phyloP100way_vertebrate: float64, phyloP100way_vertebrate_rankscore: float64, phyloP30way_mammalian: float64, phyloP30way_mammalian_rankscore: float64, phyloP17way_primate: float64, phyloP17way_primate_rankscore: float64, phastCons100way_vertebrate: float64, phastCons100way_vertebrate_rankscore: float64, phastCons30way_mammalian: float64, phastCons30way_mammalian_rankscore: float64, phastCons17way_primate: float64, phastCons17way_primate_rankscore: float64, SiPhy_29way_pi: str, SiPhy_29way_logOdds: float64, SiPhy_29way_logOdds_rankscore: float64, bStatistic: int32, bStatistic_rankscore: float64, `1000Gp3_AC`: int32, `1000Gp3_AF`: float64, `1000Gp3_AFR_AC`: int32, `1000Gp3_AFR_AF`: float64, `1000Gp3_EUR_AC`: int32, `1000Gp3_EUR_AF`: float64, `1000Gp3_AMR_AC`: int32, `1000Gp3_AMR_AF`: float64, `1000Gp3_EAS_AC`: int32, `1000Gp3_EAS_AF`: float64, `1000Gp3_SAS_AC`: int32, `1000Gp3_SAS_AF`: float64, TWINSUK_AC: int32, TWINSUK_AF: float64, ALSPAC_AC: int32, ALSPAC_AF: float64, UK10K_AC: int32, UK10K_AF: float64, ESP6500_AA_AC: int32, ESP6500_AA_AF: float64, ESP6500_EA_AC: int32, ESP6500_EA_AF: float64, ExAC_AC: int32, ExAC_AF: float64, ExAC_Adj_AC: int32, ExAC_Adj_AF: float64, ExAC_AFR_AC: int32, ExAC_AFR_AF: float64, ExAC_AMR_AC: int32, ExAC_AMR_AF: float64, ExAC_EAS_AC: int32, ExAC_EAS_AF: float64, ExAC_FIN_AC: int32, ExAC_FIN_AF: float64, ExAC_NFE_AC: int32, ExAC_NFE_AF: float64, ExAC_SAS_AC: int32, ExAC_SAS_AF: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_AC: int32, ExAC_nonTCGA_AF: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_Adj_AC: int32, ExAC_nonTCGA_Adj_AF: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_AFR_AC: int32, ExAC_nonTCGA_AFR_AF: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_AMR_AC: int32, ExAC_nonTCGA_AMR_AF: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_EAS_AC: int32, ExAC_nonTCGA_EAS_AF: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_FIN_AC: int32, ExAC_nonTCGA_FIN_AF: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_NFE_AC: int32, ExAC_nonTCGA_NFE_AF: float64, ExAC_nonTCGA_SAS_AC: int32, ExAC_nonTCGA_SAS_AF: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_AC: int32, ExAC_nonpsych_AF: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_Adj_AC: int32, ExAC_nonpsych_Adj_AF: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_AFR_AC: int32, ExAC_nonpsych_AFR_AF: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_AMR_AC: int32, ExAC_nonpsych_AMR_AF: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_EAS_AC: int32, ExAC_nonpsych_EAS_AF: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_FIN_AC: int32, ExAC_nonpsych_FIN_AF: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_NFE_AC: int32, ExAC_nonpsych_NFE_AF: float64, ExAC_nonpsych_SAS_AC: int32, ExAC_nonpsych_SAS_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_flag: str, gnomAD_exomes_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_AFR_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_AFR_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_AFR_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_AFR_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_AMR_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_AMR_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_AMR_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_AMR_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_ASJ_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_ASJ_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_ASJ_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_ASJ_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_EAS_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_EAS_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_EAS_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_EAS_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_FIN_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_FIN_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_FIN_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_FIN_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_NFE_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_NFE_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_NFE_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_NFE_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_SAS_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_SAS_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_SAS_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_SAS_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_POPMAX_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_POPMAX_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_POPMAX_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_POPMAX_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AFR_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AFR_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AFR_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AFR_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AMR_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AMR_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AMR_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_AMR_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_ASJ_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_ASJ_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_ASJ_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_ASJ_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_EAS_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_EAS_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_EAS_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_EAS_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_FIN_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_FIN_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_FIN_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_FIN_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_NFE_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_NFE_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_NFE_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_NFE_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_SAS_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_SAS_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_SAS_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_SAS_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_POPMAX_AC: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_POPMAX_AN: int32, gnomAD_exomes_controls_POPMAX_AF: float64, gnomAD_exomes_controls_POPMAX_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_flag: str, gnomAD_genomes_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_AFR_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_AFR_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_AFR_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_AFR_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_AMR_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_AMR_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_AMR_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_AMR_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_ASJ_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_ASJ_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_ASJ_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_ASJ_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_EAS_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_EAS_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_EAS_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_EAS_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_FIN_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_FIN_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_FIN_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_FIN_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_NFE_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_NFE_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_NFE_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_NFE_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_POPMAX_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_POPMAX_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_POPMAX_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_POPMAX_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_controls_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AFR_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AFR_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AFR_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AFR_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AMR_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AMR_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AMR_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_controls_AMR_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_ASJ_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_ASJ_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_ASJ_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_controls_ASJ_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_EAS_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_EAS_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_EAS_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_controls_EAS_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_FIN_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_FIN_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_FIN_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_controls_FIN_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_NFE_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_NFE_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_NFE_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_controls_NFE_nhomalt: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_POPMAX_AC: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_POPMAX_AN: int32, gnomAD_genomes_controls_POPMAX_AF: float64, gnomAD_genomes_controls_POPMAX_nhomalt: int32, clinvar_id: int32, clinvar_clnsig: str, clinvar_trait: str, clinvar_review: str, clinvar_hgvs: str, clinvar_var_source: str, clinvar_MedGen_id: str, clinvar_OMIM_id: str, clinvar_Orphanet_id: str, Interpro_domain: str, GTEx_V7_gene: str, GTEx_V7_tissue: str, Geuvadis_eQTL_target_gene: str, chr: str}>	array<struct{rsid: str}>	bool	bool	locus<GRCh37>	array<struct{AC: int32, AF: float64, AN: int32, homozygote_count: int32}>	array<struct{bin_edges: array<float64>, bin_freq: array<int64>, n_smaller: int64, n_larger: int64}>	array<struct{bin_edges: array<float64>, bin_freq: array<int64>, n_smaller: int64, n_larger: int64}>	array<struct{AC: int32, AF: float64, AN: int32, homozygote_count: int32, pop: str}>	array<struct{meta: dict<str, str>, faf95: float64, faf99: float64}>	bool	bool	bool	bool	str	str	int32	bool	bool	float64	float64	float64	float64	float64	float64	float64	float64	float64	int32	bool	bool	bool	bool	bool	bool	int32	bool	bool	str	float64	bool	bool	float64	int64	int64	int64	int64	int64	int64	int64	int64	set<str>	array<float64>	array<int64>	int64	int64	array<float64>	array<int64>	int64	int64	array<float64>	array<int64>	int64	int64	array<float64>	array<int64>	int64	int64	array<float64>	array<int64>	int64	int64	float64	str	str	str	array<struct{aa_allele: str, aa_maf: float64, afr_allele: str, afr_maf: float64, allele_string: str, amr_allele: str, amr_maf: float64, clin_sig: array<str>, end: int32, eas_allele: str, eas_maf: float64, ea_allele: str, ea_maf: float64, eur_allele: str, eur_maf: float64, exac_adj_allele: str, exac_adj_maf: float64, exac_allele: str, exac_afr_allele: str, exac_afr_maf: float64, exac_amr_allele: str, exac_amr_maf: float64, exac_eas_allele: str, exac_eas_maf: float64, exac_fin_allele: str, exac_fin_maf: float64, exac_maf: float64, exac_nfe_allele: str, exac_nfe_maf: float64, exac_oth_allele: str, exac_oth_maf: float64, exac_sas_allele: str, exac_sas_maf: float64, id: str, minor_allele: str, minor_allele_freq: float64, phenotype_or_disease: int32, pubmed: array<int32>, sas_allele: str, sas_maf: float64, somatic: int32, start: int32, strand: int32}>	str	int32	str	str	array<struct{allele_num: int32, consequence_terms: array<str>, impact: str, minimised: int32, variant_allele: str}>	str	array<struct{allele_num: int32, consequence_terms: array<str>, high_inf_pos: str, impact: str, minimised: int32, motif_feature_id: str, motif_name: str, motif_pos: int32, motif_score_change: float64, strand: int32, variant_allele: str}>	array<struct{allele_num: int32, biotype: str, consequence_terms: array<str>, impact: str, minimised: int32, regulatory_feature_id: str, variant_allele: str}>	str	int32	int32	array<struct{allele_num: int32, amino_acids: str, biotype: str, canonical: int32, ccds: str, cdna_start: int32, cdna_end: int32, cds_end: int32, cds_start: int32, codons: str, consequence_terms: array<str>, distance: int32, domains: array<struct{db: str, name: str}>, exon: str, gene_id: str, gene_pheno: int32, gene_symbol: str, gene_symbol_source: str, hgnc_id: str, hgvsc: str, hgvsp: str, hgvs_offset: int32, impact: str, intron: str, lof: str, lof_flags: str, lof_filter: str, lof_info: str, minimised: int32, polyphen_prediction: str, polyphen_score: float64, protein_end: int32, protein_start: int32, protein_id: str, sift_prediction: str, sift_score: float64, strand: int32, swissprot: str, transcript_id: str, trembl: str, uniparc: str, variant_allele: str}>	str	float64	float64	bool	int32	bool	int32	float64	float64	float64	float64	float64	bool	bool	float64	float64	float64	float64	str	str	array<str>
chr1:69026	["T","G"]	"chr1_69026_T_G"	3.80e+01	NA	[1.00e-06]	[38]	[1]	226780	["G|downstream_gene_variant|MODIFIER|OR4G11P|ENSG00000240361|Transcript|ENST00000642116|processed_transcript|||||||||||1|4910|1||SNV|1|HGNC|HGNC:31276|YES|||||||||||||||||||||||","G|intron_variant|MODIFIER|OR4F5|ENSG00000186092|Transcript|ENST00000641515|protein_coding||2/2|||||||||1||1||SNV|1|HGNC|HGNC:14825|YES||ENSP00000493376|||||||||||||||||||||"]	0	0	1.00e+00	1.17e+01	{"OR4F5":(79501,6,6,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA)}	[("copy number gain","NCBI36/hg18 1p36.33(chr1:4737-338603)x3",-1,NA,NA,"Uncertain significance",0,NA,-1,"nsv2768335","RCV000453780","na","See cases","not provided","not provided","NCBI36","NC_000001.9","na","na","1p36.33","no assertion criteria provided",1,"","N","dbVar:nssv13638640,dbVar:nsv2768335",2,393629,380521),("copy number loss","NCBI36/hg18 1p36.33-36.23(chr1:4737-7424898)x1",-1,NA,NA,"Pathogenic",1,NA,-1,"nsv2771294","RCV000450793","na","See cases","not provided","not provided","NCBI36","NC_000001.9","na","na","1p36.33-36.23","no assertion criteria provided",1,"","N","dbVar:nssv13638713,dbVar:nsv2771294",2,398920,385893),("copy number loss","NCBI36/hg18 1p36.33-36.23(chr1:4737-8734404)x1",-1,NA,NA,"Pathogenic",1,NA,-1,"nsv2771750","RCV000451919","na","See cases","not provided","not provided","NCBI36","NC_000001.9","na","na","1p36.33-36.23","no assertion criteria provided",1,"","N","dbVar:nssv13655807,dbVar:nsv2771750",2,399104,386077)]	{"OR4F5":("ENSG00000186092","1",NA,NA,"Q8NH21","OR4F5_HUMAN",79501,"CCDS30547","NM_001005484","uc001aal.1",NA,618355,"olfactory receptor family 4 subfamily F member 5",NA,NA,NA,"Olfactory transduction - Homo sapiens (human);Olfactory receptor activity;Signaling by GPCR;Signal Transduction;Olfactory Signaling Pathway;G alpha (s) signalling events;GPCR downstream signalling","hsa04740","Olfactory transduction","FUNCTION: Odorant receptor. {ECO:0000305}.; ",NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,"G protein-coupled receptor signaling pathway;detection of chemical stimulus involved in sensory perception of smell","plasma membrane;integral component of membrane","G protein-coupled receptor activity;olfactory receptor activity",NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,6.09e-02,1.87e-01,"N",NA,7.16e-02,NA,NA,NA,9.91e-01,NA,NA,1.76e-01,6.44e-01,1.80e-01,5.50e-01,3.97e-01,5.31e-02,1.80e-01,6.23e-01,1.97e-01,"3.0650e-02","6.1116e-01","3.5819e-01",NA,NA,NA,NA,1.13e+02,2.32e+00,"Medium","Medium","Medium","Medium","Medium","Medium","Medium","Medium","Medium","Medium",NA,3.99e-04,0.00e+00,3.99e-04,0.00e+00,2.28e-02,4.39e-03,8.39e-03,2.00e-03,NA,NA,NA,"N",1.14e-01,"N",NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA)}	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA	NA

When I try to pull out individual rows when filtering I end up I found a previous tutorial you guys ran from the hail website on annotation and filter:
https://hail.is/docs/0.2/tutorials/05-filter-annotate.html
Do you have anymore relevant or recommended documentation?

2. So when I export to VCF it fails immediately with this error:

> Hail: INFO: Coerced sorted dataset
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> FatalError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
> <ipython-input-11-aa00e6e9af78> in <module>
> ----> 1 hl.export_vcf(annotated_mt,"file:///opt/notebooks/test.annotate.vcf.bgz")
> 
> <decorator-gen-1449> in export_vcf(dataset, output, append_to_header, parallel, metadata, tabix)
> 
> /opt/conda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hail/typecheck/check.py in wrapper(__original_func, *args, **kwargs)
>     575     def wrapper(__original_func, *args, **kwargs):
>     576         args_, kwargs_ = check_all(__original_func, args, kwargs, checkers, is_method=is_method)
> --> 577         return __original_func(*args_, **kwargs_)
>     578 
>     579     return wrapper
> 
> /opt/conda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hail/methods/impex.py in export_vcf(dataset, output, append_to_header, parallel, metadata, tabix)
>     538                                 metadata,
>     539                                 tabix)
> --> 540     Env.backend().execute(ir.MatrixWrite(dataset._mir, writer))
>     541 
>     542 
> 
> /opt/conda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hail/backend/py4j_backend.py in execute(self, ir, timed)
>     108                 raise HailUserError(message_and_trace) from None
>     109 
> --> 110             raise e
> 
> /opt/conda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hail/backend/py4j_backend.py in execute(self, ir, timed)
>      84         # print(self._hail_package.expr.ir.Pretty.apply(jir, True, -1))
>      85         try:
> ---> 86             result_tuple = self._jhc.backend().executeEncode(jir, stream_codec)
>      87             (result, timings) = (result_tuple._1(), result_tuple._2())
>      88             value = ir.typ._from_encoding(result)
> 
> /cluster/spark/python/lib/py4j-0.10.7-src.zip/py4j/java_gateway.py in __call__(self, *args)
>    1255         answer = self.gateway_client.send_command(command)
>    1256         return_value = get_return_value(
> -> 1257             answer, self.gateway_client, self.target_id, self.name)
>    1258 
>    1259         for temp_arg in temp_args:
> 
> /opt/conda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hail/backend/py4j_backend.py in deco(*args, **kwargs)
>      29                 raise FatalError('%s\n\nJava stack trace:\n%s\n'
>      30                                  'Hail version: %s\n'
> ---> 31                                  'Error summary: %s' % (deepest, full, hail.__version__, deepest), error_id) from None
>      32         except pyspark.sql.utils.CapturedException as e:
>      33             raise FatalError('%s\n\nJava stack trace:\n%s\n'
> 
> FatalError: VCFParseError: unexpected end of line
> 
> Java stack trace:
> org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted.
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$.write(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:100)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopDataset$1.apply$mcV$sp(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1096)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopDataset$1.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1094)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopDataset$1.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1094)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:151)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:112)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.withScope(RDD.scala:363)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.saveAsHadoopDataset(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1094)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$4.apply$mcV$sp(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1067)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$4.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1032)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$4.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1032)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:151)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:112)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.saveAsHadoopFile(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1032)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$3.apply$mcV$sp(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1013)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$3.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1013)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$3.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1013)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.saveAsHadoopFile(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1012)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$2.apply$mcV$sp(PairRDDFunctions.scala:970)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$2.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:968)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$2.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:968)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.saveAsHadoopFile(PairRDDFunctions.scala:968)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$saveAsTextFile$2.apply$mcV$sp(RDD.scala:1517)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$saveAsTextFile$2.apply(RDD.scala:1505)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$saveAsTextFile$2.apply(RDD.scala:1505)
> 	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.saveAsTextFile(RDD.scala:1505)
> 	at is.hail.utils.richUtils.RichRDD$.writeTable$extension(RichRDD.scala:78)
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.ExportVCF$.apply(ExportVCF.scala:460)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.MatrixVCFWriter.apply(MatrixWriter.scala:333)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.WrappedMatrixWriter.apply(MatrixWriter.scala:46)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.Interpret$.run(Interpret.scala:852)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.Interpret$.alreadyLowered(Interpret.scala:57)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.LowerOrInterpretNonCompilable$.evaluate$1(LowerOrInterpretNonCompilable.scala:20)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.LowerOrInterpretNonCompilable$.is$hail$expr$ir$LowerOrInterpretNonCompilable$$rewrite$1(LowerOrInterpretNonCompilable.scala:67)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.LowerOrInterpretNonCompilable$.apply(LowerOrInterpretNonCompilable.scala:72)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LowerOrInterpretNonCompilablePass$.transform(LoweringPass.scala:69)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LoweringPass$$anonfun$apply$3$$anonfun$1.apply(LoweringPass.scala:16)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LoweringPass$$anonfun$apply$3$$anonfun$1.apply(LoweringPass.scala:16)
> 	at is.hail.utils.ExecutionTimer.time(ExecutionTimer.scala:81)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LoweringPass$$anonfun$apply$3.apply(LoweringPass.scala:16)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LoweringPass$$anonfun$apply$3.apply(LoweringPass.scala:14)
> 	at is.hail.utils.ExecutionTimer.time(ExecutionTimer.scala:81)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LoweringPass$class.apply(LoweringPass.scala:14)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LowerOrInterpretNonCompilablePass$.apply(LoweringPass.scala:64)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LoweringPipeline$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(LoweringPipeline.scala:15)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LoweringPipeline$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(LoweringPipeline.scala:13)
> 	at scala.collection.IndexedSeqOptimized$class.foreach(IndexedSeqOptimized.scala:33)
> 	at scala.collection.mutable.WrappedArray.foreach(WrappedArray.scala:35)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.lowering.LoweringPipeline.apply(LoweringPipeline.scala:13)
> 	at is.hail.expr.ir.CompileAndEvaluate$._apply(CompileAndEvaluate.scala:47)
> 	at is.hail.backend.spark.SparkBackend.is$hail$backend$spark$SparkBackend$$_execute(SparkBackend.scala:381)
> 	at is.hail.backend.spark.SparkBackend$$anonfun$8$$anonfun$apply$4.apply(SparkBackend.scala:417)
> 	at is.hail.backend.spark.SparkBackend$$anonfun$8$$anonfun$apply$4.apply(SparkBackend.scala:414)
> 	at is.hail.backend.ExecuteContext$$anonfun$scoped$1$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(ExecuteContext.scala:47)
> 	at is.hail.backend.ExecuteContext$$anonfun$scoped$1$$anonfun$apply$1.apply(ExecuteContext.scala:47)
> 	at is.hail.utils.package$.using(package.scala:638)
> 	at is.hail.backend.ExecuteContext$$anonfun$scoped$1.apply(ExecuteContext.scala:47)
> 	at is.hail.backend.ExecuteContext$$anonfun$scoped$1.apply(ExecuteContext.scala:46)
> 	at is.hail.utils.package$.using(package.scala:638)
> 	at is.hail.annotations.RegionPool$.scoped(RegionPool.scala:17)
> 	at is.hail.backend.ExecuteContext$.scoped(ExecuteContext.scala:46)
> 	at is.hail.backend.spark.SparkBackend.withExecuteContext(SparkBackend.scala:275)
> 	at is.hail.backend.spark.SparkBackend$$anonfun$8.apply(SparkBackend.scala:414)
> 	at is.hail.backend.spark.SparkBackend$$anonfun$8.apply(SparkBackend.scala:413)
> 	at is.hail.utils.ExecutionTimer$.time(ExecutionTimer.scala:52)
> 	at is.hail.backend.spark.SparkBackend.executeEncode(SparkBackend.scala:413)
> 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
> 	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
> 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
> 	at py4j.reflection.MethodInvoker.invoke(MethodInvoker.java:244)
> 	at py4j.reflection.ReflectionEngine.invoke(ReflectionEngine.java:357)
> 	at py4j.Gateway.invoke(Gateway.java:282)
> 	at py4j.commands.AbstractCommand.invokeMethod(AbstractCommand.java:132)
> 	at py4j.commands.CallCommand.execute(CallCommand.java:79)
> 	at py4j.GatewayConnection.run(GatewayConnection.java:238)
> 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
> 
> org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 0 in stage 41.0 failed 4 times, most recent failure: Lost task 0.3 in stage 41.0 (TID 185, ip-10-60-8-117.eu-west-2.compute.internal, executor 0): org.apache.spark.SparkException: Task failed while writing rows
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$.org$apache$spark$internal$io$SparkHadoopWriter$$executeTask(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:157)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$$anonfun$3.apply(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:83)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$$anonfun$3.apply(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:78)
> 	at org.apache.spark.scheduler.ResultTask.runTask(ResultTask.scala:90)
> 	at org.apache.spark.scheduler.Task.run(Task.scala:123)
> 	at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner$$anonfun$10.apply(Executor.scala:408)
> 	at org.apache.spark.util.Utils$.tryWithSafeFinally(Utils.scala:1360)
> 	at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner.run(Executor.scala:414)
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> at is.hail.utils.ErrorHandling$class.fatal(ErrorHandling.scala:15)
> 	at is.hail.utils.package$.fatal(package.scala:78)
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.MatrixVCFReader$$anonfun$21$$anonfun$apply$11$$anonfun$apply$12.apply(LoadVCF.scala:1758)
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.MatrixVCFReader$$anonfun$21$$anonfun$apply$11$$anonfun$apply$12.apply(LoadVCF.scala:1747)
> 	at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$13.hasNext(Iterator.scala:464)
> 	at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$11.hasNext(Iterator.scala:409)
> 	at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$12.hasNext(Iterator.scala:439)
> 	at is.hail.utils.richUtils.RichContextRDD$$anonfun$cleanupRegions$1$$anon$1.hasNext(RichContextRDD.scala:69)
> 	at scala.collection.Iterator$JoinIterator.hasNext(Iterator.scala:220)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$$anonfun$4.apply(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:130)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$$anonfun$4.apply(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:129)
> 	at org.apache.spark.util.Utils$.tryWithSafeFinallyAndFailureCallbacks(Utils.scala:1394)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$.org$apache$spark$internal$io$SparkHadoopWriter$$executeTask(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:141)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$$anonfun$3.apply(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:83)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$$anonfun$3.apply(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:78)
> 	at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner$$anonfun$10.apply(Executor.scala:408)
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
> 
> is.hail.io.vcf.VCFParseError: unexpected end of line
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.VCFLine.parseError(LoadVCF.scala:57)
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.VCFLine.nextField(LoadVCF.scala:294)
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.LoadVCF$.parseLine(LoadVCF.scala:1463)
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.LoadVCF$.parseLine(LoadVCF.scala:1317)
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.MatrixVCFReader$$anonfun$21$$anonfun$apply$11$$anonfun$apply$12.apply(LoadVCF.scala:1754)
> 	at is.hail.io.vcf.MatrixVCFReader$$anonfun$21$$anonfun$apply$11$$anonfun$apply$12.apply(LoadVCF.scala:1747)
> 	at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$13.hasNext(Iterator.scala:464)
> 	at is.hail.utils.richUtils.RichContextRDD$$anonfun$cleanupRegions$1$$anon$1.hasNext(RichContextRDD.scala:69)
> 	at scala.collection.Iterator$JoinIterator.hasNext(Iterator.scala:220)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$$anonfun$4.apply(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:130)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$$anonfun$4.apply(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:129)
> 	at org.apache.spark.util.Utils$.tryWithSafeFinallyAndFailureCallbacks(Utils.scala:1394)
> 	at org.apache.spark.internal.io.SparkHadoopWriter$.org$apache$spark$internal$io$SparkHadoopWriter$$executeTask(SparkHadoopWriter.scala:141)
> 
> Hail version: 0.2.78-b17627756568
> Error summary: VCFParseError: unexpected end of line
  1. So I subsetted with bcftools and then qc’d using vcftools. The format of the outputted vcf file is:

chr1 69026 chr1_69026_T_G T G 38 . AF=1e-06;AQ=38;AC=1;AN=226780 GT:DP:AD:GQ:PL:RNC

The export to VCF fails regardless of whether I annotate or not, so I think you are right that it’s something wrong with the input but I don’t understand where I went wrong considering I processed the vcf files using standard processes.