codons: str, 
            consequence_terms: array<str>, 
            distance: int32, 
            domains: array<struct {
                db: str, 
                name: str
            }>

I just wanted to see the consequence_terms, so I annotated it to a new row:

d = d.annotate_rows(consequence_terms= d.vep.transcript_consequences['consequence_terms'])

Now all the value in my new ‘consequence_terms’ row are an array<array> expression, such as [[‘missense_variant’]].
This is causing me a problem, because I want to know whether these samples have a ‘loss of function’ variant.

I have tried:

LoF_mutation = hl.array(['stop_gained', 'frameshift_variant', 'splice_region_variant', 'splice_acceptor_variant','splice_donor_variant', 'missense_variant'])
d = d.annotate_rows(is_LoF = hl.if_else(LoF_mutation.contains(d.consequent_terms), 'Y', 'N'))

But it shows the error
HailException: no conversion found for contains(, array<str>, array<array<str>>) => bool.
Is there any way to convert my array<array> values into a more simple expression, such as just array or a list?
It also seems unnecessary, because all my consequent_terms just have two brackets in a row around them.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hey @jeji29 ,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Hail! The direct answer to the question in your post title is flatten:

d.vep.transcript_consequences['consequence_terms']).flatten()

However, I think you actually need to use set intersection here. You have a list of loss of function consequences (LoF_mutation) and you have a list of all the consequences across all the transcripts of this variant (d.vep.transcript_consequences['consequence_terms']). If you want to know if there is at least one loss of function consequence you can use this:

all_consequences = d.vep.transcript_consequences['consequence_terms'].flatten()

d = d.annotate_rows(
    is_LoF = hl.len(LoF_mutation.intersect(hl.set(all_consequences))) != 0
)

I also want to point you at one more resource, the gnomAD Python library. It contains a function called process_consequences which finds the most severe consequence for you:

from gnomad.utils.vep import process_consequences
d = process_consequences(d)
d.vep.worst_consequence_term.describe()
--------------------------------------------------------
Type:
        str
Source:
    <hail.table.MatrixTable object at 0x7fc41357c050>
Index:
    ['row']

Thanks! The flatten() and intersection() functions solved my problem :slight_smile: